Monday, April 28, 2008

Audacity of Hope



Never realised that it could be so politically incorrect to carry the latestbest-seller by Barack Obama to read, in this politically correct country of Unites States of A. As a matter of habit, I carry a book with me in order to avoid drowning in fantasy during my long journeys from Flushing to the city. More so, for longer one during 'local' weekends; but unfortunately I had only one book this weekend and I have forced to leave it behind which is why I write this now sitting in the 7 train.
So I picked up this book on Friday and happened to carry it to the theatre where I went to watch 'Tashan'. While I was using it to reserve the seat next to me for my friend, I saw the guy sitting next to next staring at it. I had not really minded till the guys at the back seat did the same. Instinctively I took the book and placed it below my seat. Got to be careful now I thought. I felt wierd while travelling in the subway too. I tried to hide the front cover and was careful that Obama's face on the cover was not visible from any angle.
Carrying it was like making my political views too public. It was like saying 'Obama I am with you' or announcing that 'I am a democrat' or 'Whites I hate you' or 'Blacks I belong to you'. Whatever it was it invited unfriendly sometimes appreciative stares and sometimes even a polite discussion with a stranger neighbour on the train.
One of such discussions with Margarita on my way back from volunteering at a community garden turned out to be quite insightful. She passionately spoke about how evil Hillary was and how manipulative she could be just to win. How low she had stooped in her debates and how gracious Obama was in contrast. We found a common bond. She took my number and promised to call.
I also happened to carry the book to a friends get together at a bar and I could sense the couriosity in almost all as to whose book was that lying in that corner and give it to me after you read it etc. Most felt a need to comment a sentence or two on the US political scene just to prove that ' I know it too'. Anyways to avoid any further complications on the issue, I am going to dress it up in a newspaper while I carry it, whichI have to in order to finish the book in a week.

No comments: