
Since I had already toured the hidden Venice on the previous day, I was now going to see the more popular Venice around the San Marco area. I walked around the St Mark's Square and decided to go inside the Basilica and Doge's Palace. Though both of them had separate tickets, nevertheless I decided to have a look inside them.
Doge's Palace was a museum which had the rooms used by the Doges who once ruled Venice. Basilica had very interesting mosaics that too and gold and in all colors. Even the outside of Basilica was beautiful and enchanting. Having a round of both, I went to the Dell Academia and took the audio tour there. The museum had a wonderful collection of old Venetian paintings. Each painting had a story behind it and it really gave a perspective and brought the entire ancient city to life.
Most paintings were based on legends and legends were mostly of love. Each painting had too much crowd of people showing that the city was quite populated at that time. Boats and merchants of Venice found an important place in paintings. Virgin Mary was another popular topic which was commonly found. The painting showed the daily of people and also of the more popular people. Marco Polo's maps and globe was also on display.
No comments:
Post a Comment