
Nothing much to write about Frankfurt. After touring the rich history of Rome nothing else seemed to grip my attention. Also it was quite cold as I hseen snow on the way. I was woken up by the cabin attendant twenty minutes before the station and I stood on the corridor watching the snow. When I reached Frankfurt station, it was quite dark and it seemd to be a very small station. Then I thought as usual maybe this is not the main one. This did not even have a luggage deposit section so I took the metro train to the main station. This seemed to be well laid out and easy to understand. I deposited the bag in self-service kiosk and bought a ticket for the city tour which was in the afternoon so I had the entire morning to myself.
I bought a Newspaper,sat in McDonalds and ejoyed a nice heavy breakfast with two cups of coffee. Spent time there and then went out to take a tour of the city by foot. I walked till the downtown area and saw the Christmas market. Frankfurt was a cosmopolitan city. I could see restaurants of various cuisines especially lot of Indian restaurants on the way. Also there seemed to be quite a few immigrants and so I merged into them and got rid of the stares which I had otherwise got in all other places that too from my own countrymen in other countries. Here it was much more comfortable walking around. I came back to the station in time to have chinese lunch as I was so bored of Continental by now.
The sight seeing tour started from the station. It was bus full tourists, and we also had a guide with us. The bus started with a tour of the city over the bridge and we saw the Frankfurt skyline with mostly banks, the most impressive ones being that of Deutsche Bank. The guide said that the balance sheet size of this bank alone was more than that of the city government. We crossed the Denube and saw a line of museums on the other side. We then got down at the christmas market or the old town. This is where the christmas tree was to be lighted later in the evening. We went inside one of the museums the house of Goethe. The tour was over with a bit more of sightseeing of the city.
1 comment:
Was the tour trip across the city also typical Germanic efficiency or was it slightly laid back ?
Post a Comment