Monday, April 7, 2008

My current job

I know that this might be quite a boring topic to talk on. If anyone were to answer the question 'How do you like your job' genuinely, one would be expected to either say all negatives or brag about it in order to hide the negatives; meaning to say that it is human and normal for people to hate thier jobs and bosses.
I am no exception but may be I am just trying to look at the positive side of things. So truthfully speaking I genuinely love my job. I love my staff, my bosses, my colleagues and every aspect of the job. There is pleasure even in bitching about the boss or blaming the colleagues or pulling up your staff, it is all so much fun. All amongst the challenges provided by the limited infrastructure and technological handicaps.
To start with, I am a banker woking in mid town brnch of New York sitting amidst a staff strength of hundred. In my department i.e. loans I am sandwitched between four direct bosses headed by CEO and a clerical staff team of four headed by a supevisor. And thats not all, I am also supposed to coordinate between the other departments of the branch i.e. my colleagues because in order to complete one single transaction of a customer who I am answerable to, I depend on colleagues to complete the flow.
So as if five bosses above and five staff below was not enough I have the customers, syndication agents, colleagues pulling me fom the sides. And with the additional responsibility of coordinating loan proposals from all US branches, now I have to work with these other branch representatives who depend on me for the final approval of thier proposals. And then there is this constant interaction with the IT department, thanks to our new core banking software which is still in its teething phase.
So basically its more of HR than Finance. My management specialisation in HR is finally helping me here. I am the pivot on whom the department is delicately balanced. I translate the demands of the bosses into action plans for the staff and guide thier work. It has been one of the most challenging assignments. Though I have felt the same even when I was in remittance section or was picked for the special internet banking project, this being my third assignment and probably the last in New York. The feeling of being responsible, answerable and important is the most satisfying ever.

1 comment:

themadrasi said...

Better late than never. Been caught up but then maximus commentatoronyourblog has to talk about it na.

Its interesting to see that you have to co-ordinate among so many folks. It sounds like you need to have footwork like that of a cat on a hot tin roof to handle everything without annoying folks. Its more an experience in human resource skills rather than an actual technical job and sometimes you realize how much that intangible makes a difference to other folks lives.