Wednesday, September 5, 2007

Chak De - the woman factor


So I guess by now we have all seen 'chak de', talked about it, appreciated it, commented on it as a movie. A feeling similar to that of watching any sport. The thrill of winning and exasperation of loosing.. is the movie all about that, just that? What touched me in the movie and made me think, worriedly so was the female factor. What is it in women that make them so unsuited to play a team sport or for that matter any sport. I am making a judgemental statement here and being a woman I should not be saying so but maybe I speak for myself, me ,a person who has absolutely no interest in any kind of sport whatsoever...not even cricket, the only match I ever saw was probably lagaan.


Why are women wired so? (read me in place of women). Firstly its a fact that normal women lack unity exceptions are ofcourse there in cases where some women have managed to come out of thier shell and are able to think maturely. But in most cases it still remains a fact....and lets see whats the root of this. Thats because every women wants to be special and is jealous of other better performing females. So is it ego... NO its insecurity. And where does this insecurity stem from? from our culture and upbringing and society which makes women insecure, dependent, difident. e.g. when I myself look back at my background and see the person I am today I feel I still lack confidence inspite of everything.And its deeply ingrained. We may appear to be in control but inside never sure of oneself.


So are we saying here that women are weak then what about all the talks about women are the creators, behind every successful man, a mother, daughter, wife - all rolled into oneall crap?NO... all that is true too.I feel we women are too distracted by the several roles that we play that we loose focus on ourselves. We bury our personal ego/identity for our extended selves and try to find our identity through them. Here I am talking about the modern, educated liberated women. For our less priveleged of our clan , the topic will be on a different plane altogether.


Even women whom one sees as leaders, successful entrepreneurs are there because of a lot of thought processes they have gone through within themselves to come out of the rut and go the new found way.They have either rebeled against the society or have got tremendous support from them to do thier own thing. Not all women can do that. But what we can definitely do is have faith/belief in ourselves and understand that we dont need a man to make our lives happy and meaningful. True joy/bliss lies within. Take out time and introspect. Its all there inside you, just give it the wings and watch its flight.

1 comment:

themadrasi said...

I was trawling the net when I came across this blog.


The generation out of college today are the females that you see in the hockey team . Girls in India, fresh out of college today seem to be more confident, less afraid of failure and ready to take on the world pretty much like the players in Chak De.

Playing multiple roles and multi-tasking does take a huge toll on your emotional bank but isn't that what women have always been doing through out the ages. Sometimes I feel that the hero(es/ines) of this country are actually all those working mothers who get up at 5 a.m. make breakfast for the family, pack dabbas for the kids , send everyone to work and school and then themselves go around to work . After a hectic day @ work they return to a home where they have to cook dinner, feed the kids , the husbands who return home, teach the kids and then sleep .

Even though you mention that women require a lot of support to become a "leader" , how many of them actually do something to help out their own kind. The few real leaders that I can think of are Mother Teresa, maybe Sonia Gandhi but definitely not our latest president.

However having said that I wonder if it is more a function of the environment in which you grow up or the society in which you live in , which is essentially what you are saying.

But then at the end of the day - its like the matrix - free your mind and you can fly .

Anyways my 10 paise worth of comments.